THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Kitchen Manager
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: August 02, 2016
Starting Salary: $20,318.00 - $25,372.00 GRADE: EC-14 STEP: 0
Union: American Federation Teachers – (AFT)
This job involves supervisory work in the operation of a kitchen within the schools. An employee in this class is responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the kitchen to ensure that the proper types and quantities of meals are prepared on schedule. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of School Lunch.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Estimates from regular and special diet prescriptions, the quantities of food items to be used in the preparation of various meals;
- Requisition from the storeroom food items needed in the kitchen;
- Supervises or participates in the preparation of meals in the kitchen with emphasis on special diets;
- Receives supplies, commodities and other food items for storage in the kitchen, storeroom and checks items for quantity ordered and condition of supplies received;
- Trains newly appointed cooks and other kitchen staff in the proper performance of their duties;
- Supervises the cleaning and proper maintenance of kitchen equipment;
- Performs related work as required;
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of large scale cooking, including the use of large ranges and heavy mechanical kitchen equipment;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and the necessary precautions to be implemented;
- Knowledge of sanitary methods to be used in food preparation and related activities;
- Ability to perform simple mathematical computations, calculations and measurements;
- Ability to instruct and train new employees in their duties;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of kitchen personnel;
- Ability to interpret and explain departmental regulations governing kitchen operations;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all persons contacted in the course of work;
- Ability to develop and maintain reports;
- Ability to lift 70lbs or more;
- Ability to work for long hours while standing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent; and
- Three (3) years of experience in quantity cooking; and
- Possession of or ability to acquire a food handler’s health certificate.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.teachusvi.net and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTEDFOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.