THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Maintenance Mechanic
LOCATION: St. Thomas/ St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: October 12, 2016
Salary Range: $21,712
Union: Seafarers International Union
This is a skilled work in performing repair and maintenance work to buildings and equipment. An employee in this class usually works out of a central maintenance shop to which request for repair and maintenance work are sent and from which employees are detailed to handle the various request. General instructions and supervision are received from an administrative or technical superior but an employee is expected to use some initiative in assuming repair and maintenance assignments and in working with a minimum of immediate supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in general repair and maintenance of building structures;
- Makes cost estimates for small repair and maintenance jobs to which assigned and prepares request for materials and supplies needed to complete the assignments;
- Supervises a small number of General Maintenance Workers, Laborers, and other workers assigned to a given job;
- Performs a variety of repair jobs involving combinations of skills in gasoline and diesel equipment mechanics;
- Performs a variety of building and grounds repair jobs involving combinations of skills in carpentry, plumbing, electrical and/or masonry trades;
- Turns off electrical, water, and gas supply and starts emergency supply when necessary;
- Performs other related work as required;
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and techniques of at least two of the building or mechanic trades and some knowledge of a variety of the other trades related there to;
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, and materials of several of the building or mechanic trades;
- Skill in the use of wide range of tools, and materials of several of the building or mechanic trades;
- Ability to make inspections, to determine, the need for repairs, and to perform or assists in performing a variety of repairs needed for proper maintenance of buildings, grounds, and equipment;
- Ability to supervise a small group of skilled and other workers assigned to a job;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and all other persons contacted during the course of the work;
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent and (3) three years’ experience at the journeymen level in at least two of the building or mechanical trades.
- An Associate’s degree in a related area may be substituted for apprenticeship training.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized by this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate