THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Accountant I
LOCATION: St. Thomas/ St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: October 12, 2016
Salary Range: $31,131 GRADE: EC-22 STEP: 0
Union: Support Staff Unit – (AFT)
Accounting work of this class work involves routine accounting procedures, principles and techniques. An employee in this class keeps records of accounts in a small administrative unit and is responsible for the preparation of accounting and fiscal reports, and the maintenance of less complex control accounts. Problems involving policy matters and significant irregularities are referred to a superior officer for advice or assistance. Work is performed in accordance with established procedures. Work skills are reviewed through periodic checks, on completion of assignments, and from progress reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Posts accounting data to general ledger accounts from subsidiary reports;
- Makes trial balances in preparation for financial reports;
- Reconciles accounts, records, reports and journals;
- Creates forms, statements, audit reports and other records;
- Maintains expenditure and budgetary control accounts and prepares necessary reports relating to account status;
- Engages in posting and processing information for fiscal reports;
- Exchanges non-routine information using tact, requiring good oral and written communication skills;
- Other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the provision of the accounting manual of the Government of the Virgin Islands as they relate to recording and reporting of fiscal transaction;
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, theories, practices and their application to a wide variety of transaction involved governmental accounting;
- Knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing software, computer applications related to the work, accounting software and willingness to learn and use accounting and financial reporting software;
- Knowledge of procedures, modern office practices, and basic office management; business language and arithmetic;
- Ability to apply and adapt established methods in accounting transactions;
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously, interpersonally and organizationally;
- Ability to perform detailed work involving written or numerical data, and to make arithmetical calculations rapidly and accurately;
- Ability to prepare complete accurate accounting reports and statements;
- Ability to organize own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines;
- Ability to supervise the work of a small group of employees engaged in bookkeeping or related office duties.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or a related field from an accredited college or university; or
- Semester credits in Business Administration to include 15 credits in accounting/ bookkeeping and four (4) years’ experience in the position of Bookkeeper III or equivalent.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized by this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate