POSITION: DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
The Director of Curriculum and Instruction provides leadership for development, maintenance,
evaluation, and advocacy of a high quality educational program for students in the district. He/ she will work under limited supervision of the Insular Superintendent or designee with considerable latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPOSNIBILITES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Coordinates the adoption, budgeting, and evaluation of the District instructional materials (textbooks, software, and instructional technology) with increased student achievement as the goal;
- Communicates to the community about District curricular programs;
- Assess and analyzes needs of the District in terms of curriculum, instruction, and assessment and proposes changes to the curriculum;
- Coordinates development and maintenance of all District curriculum maps, materials, and publications;
- Coordinates development and evaluation of the District’s instructional benchmarks for all subject areas;
- Develops and evaluates the District’s instructional supervision and evaluation program;
- Facilitated the development/adoption of procedures that comply with territorial policies on curriculum, instruction, and assessment;
- Develops, reviews, and evaluates the District’s assessment procedures, practices and programs;
- Participates regularly in District administrative team meetings, K-12 subject area curriculum committee meetings, and Board curriculum committee meetings
- Works with principals, supervisors and/or coordinators and other staff members in curriculum development and implementation in accordance with territorial policies;
- Performs other related work as required;
KNOWELEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local laws governing curriculum, instruction, assessment and related policies and procedures;
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations;
- Ability to communicate with staff, central office and the public;
- Ability to write concise reports, carry out instructions and develop comprehensive plans with a minimum of supervision;
- Knowledgeable of approaches for involving parents, family and community members in educational planning, implementation and evaluation;
- Ability to interpret laws and policies pertaining to learning, discipline, social and health needs of students.
Director of Curriculum, and Instruction Page 2
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in educational leadership and/or administration. Additional coursework in curriculum or curriculum leadership preferred.
At least five (5) years satisfactory experience in teaching and three (3) years experience in administration and or supervision.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Complainant may write to: Director Director
Office of Human Resources Office of Human Resources
2133 Hospital Street 1834 Kongens Gade
Christiansted, VI 00820 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802