THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Cook I
LOCATION: St. Thomas/ St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: May 26, 2017
Salary: $20,992.00- $49,219.00 GRADE: SU-11
Union: Seafarers International Union
Work in this class involves unskilled miscellaneous tasks in the food service department of a school. It involves the performance of a variety of tasks including some of a custodial or laboring nature, although primary emphasis is on food service activities. Work requires the maintenance of a high standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Duties may be learned on the job without the need of prior experience. Work does not normally include responsibility for cooking, but for very simple food preparation, such as; preparing salads and for caring for the kitchen, pantries, and dining room. Work follows a set schedule and is performed under close supervision of a dietitian, food service supervisor or cook.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Prepares special diets according to prescribed instruction;
- Prepares and seasons various types of food; cooks food, prepares or supervises the preparation of special diets according to instruction from the Dietician or other supervisors;
- Supervises and assists in setting of tables and serving of meals;
- Assists the Dietician or Kitchen Manager in estimating food needs and in the requisition of supplies;
- Instructs food service workers in the preparation of food for cooking;
- Maintains sanitary conditions in kitchen and lunchrooms;
- Operates large gas and electric cooking ranges, and ensures that they are properly used and maintained;
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, utensils and materials used in preparing and serving large quantities of food;
- Knowledge of the care and cleaning of kitchen equipment;
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques of large-scale kitchen equipment;
- Ability to direct the work of small groups of food service workers engaged in the preparation of food, cleaning kitchen and dining areas;
- Ability to read write and comprehend written materials associated with the performance of the job;
- Ability to follow both oral and written instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all persons contacted in the course of the work;
- Ability to work long hours while standing;
- Skill in cooking a wide variety of foods;
- Good physical condition sufficient to permit working long hours in the kitchen and the performance of moderately heavy (at least 70lbs) lifting.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- One (1) year experience in cooking foods
- Possession or ability to qualify for a food handler’s health certificate
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized by this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate