THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: School Safety Director
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Salary Range: $60,000- $65,000
This is a highly skilled position that requires the individual to coordinate building safety and law enforcement throughout the school district. Under limited supervision, performs supervisory and administrative tasks in developing, implementing, and managing programs designed to effectively address security and school safety needs. Employee is responsible for coordinating a comprehensive school safety program, which includes working with local law enforcement agencies. Employee works extensively with the Commissioner, Insular Superintendents, school administrators and the community in all areas of school safety. Work also involves implementing training programs for pertaining to matters of safety and security for site based administrators and help to develop and monitor school safety area of the school improvement plans. This position reports to the Commissioner or designee. Individual must be able to work independently, be organized, be able to prioritize, meet deadlines and maintain meticulous records.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Advises the Commissioner of Education as it pertains to all security concerns;
- Establish and interpret policies and procedures to ensure effective action planning and action for the prevention and safe and secure working environment for students and staff;
- Establish and interpret polices and guidelines specifically for all school monitors to have the ability to effectively perform their duties;
- Develop training and professional development opportunities for school monitors and other personnel;
- Maintain files and detailed records as it pertains to discipline incidents;
- Develop intervention and prevention strategies;
- Develop a security and safety and plan;
- Coordinates a comprehensive security/school safety program;
- Serves as liaison with local law enforcement agencies to monitor the daily operation of the School Resource Officer (SRO) program and other law enforcement issues on the school campuses;
- Works with local law enforcement agencies to encourage community-policing efforts on school campuses;
- Works directly with local law enforcement agencies during critical incident situations and follow up
- Advises and assists site-based administrators in matters involving criminal activities on school campuses;
- Participates in the development and maintenance of the District level Crisis plans;
- Assists/ advises in the development of crisis management/emergency plans as part of each school’s safety plan;
- Coordinates with Insular Superintendent to address safety/security issues on school campuses;
- Receives all reports of school crime from site based administrators and/or School Resource officer (SRO) and maintain statistics regarding this information
- Provides periodic report to the Insular Superintendent(s) on matters pertaining to school safety;
- Perform related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local policies and procedures regarding the administration of security/school safety programs;
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations;
- Knowledge of the current literature, trends, methods, and developments in the areas of security and school safety;
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and make recommendations for improvements;
- Ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, structural or composite characteristics (whether similar or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things;
- Ability to speak to people with poise, voice control and confidence;
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records and develop meaningful complex reports;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of internal and external personnel:
- Ability to supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff;
- Ability to make sound and independent judgment while performing various tasks and assignments;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA in a related field and at least eight (8) years of law enforcement or related experience, including at least three (3) years of progressive management experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required the knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must possess a valid United States Virgin Islands driver’s license.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.