THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Director of Public Relations
LOCATION: St. Thomas/ St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Starting Salary: $65,000.00
This is professional work that requires specialized and professional work in executing all associated functions of public relations for the Department. The individual will also be responsible for building, increasing, and maintain a positive public image of the Department by working with various members of the media. Individual must be able to work independently, be organized, be able to prioritize and meet deadlines. Work is reviewed in the form of conferences, special instructions, review of reports submitted and appraisals. Supervision for this position is received from the Commissioner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Composes newspaper, radio, television, and other media releases, drafts and prepares department interpretive bulletins; articles for periodicals, pamphlets, brochures, spot announcements and script material;
- Prepares special reports, short talks and speeches for department officials.
- Maintains files of source materials; clips pertinent newspaper articles and preserve them for future reference.
- Responsible for photographic assignments and releases pictures to news media when necessary.
- Coordinate activities with advertising agencies, Government News Bureau, and public relations consultants.
- Manage and execute public relation events;
- Plan and manage an annual budget
- Assist in assessing and interpreting the public’s attitude toward the Department;
- Carry out involvement and information activities which earn public understanding and support;
- Promote the Department’s strengths/achievements, and its solutions to problems;
- Research and develop communication strategies;
- Promote the development of collaborative initiatives between the Department and external stakeholders;
- Performs other tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in the technique of composing publications involving the compilation and processing of original and secondary data;
- Ability to perform with accuracy in abstracting source materials in checking and proof reading;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines when necessary;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel and Access);
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organization skills;
- Ability to develop and plan various programs;
- Ability to speak persuasively;
- Ability to analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions;
- Ability to multi task;
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position;
- Ability to write concise reports, carry out instructions and develop comprehensive plans with minimum supervision;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in the field Journalism, Mass Communication, or related field and two (2) years or more of progressively responsible work where the primary aspects of employment where related to providing public relation services related support; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Journalism, Mass Communication or related field and five (5) years of progressively more responsible work where the primary aspects of employment where related to providing public relation services related support.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.